Welcome!

Welcome to LILTDY blogging.


Each of you needs to go to Blogger and create your own blog for this course. Call your blog anything you like, but be sure to include your name in the title so we know who you are and can respond to your posts. Add the URL to our class member sheet below.


Each week you will have one assigned writing task related to our text, Leading at the Edge. These entries should be between 150 and 300 words.


But please also make additional entries, and/or provide links to anything that you find interesting and related to our class.


I’ll try to make my blog a good model of what is possible. To help you feel like we are all doing this together, I will do the same assignments as you.


I look forward to blogging with you.


Ken

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Week Two Required Post

Dear Dynamics,

This week we will be reading the first two actual chapters of our text, each focusing on one of Shackleton's Ten Strategies of Leadership. Remember that you are to blog on at least one chapter per week, and the "Expedition Log" at the end of each chapter provides good, thought-provoking questions for you to respond to.  For example, from Chapter 1 "Vision and Quick Victories” you are asked to define your Long-term vision and Short-term goals for getting there. Use the questions on Pgs. 27 and 28 for ideas, but essentially what you want to do is describe your hopes and dreams for the future, and the various steps along the way that will help you to achieve them.

As promised, I will do my best to do the same writing assignments as you.

In this case, as I consider a long-term vision and short-term goals, I would like to consider our course as an “organization,” with me as “leader” (although I'd rather see myself as "facilitator") and all of us together exploring terra incognita (unknown territory). Perhaps this can give you a better sense of what this course is intended to be and your part in it.

Long-term vision

Perkins talks about how Shackleton had to “be willing to find a ‘new mark’” (16) such as when he told his crew “So now we’ll go home” (16) when he lost his ship (and hopes of crossing Antarctica). This course, for me, is a new mark—I have abandoned the popular “Adventure Travel” course that I taught for many years in order to take an entirely new direction with this course.

My intention is to create a course that combines an interest in organizational development (how organizations and the people in them function, develop, manage change, etc) and such interrelated topics as leadership, negotiation, conflict resolution, team building, etc. as outlined in the description and syllabus for the course. But these topics interlink with a wide variety of other social behavioral interests such as interpersonal communication, emotional and social intelligence, group dynamics, human motivation, etc. —all of which are also fascinating. The problem is that whole books have been written about each of these topics. It is a challenge knowing where to begin and what to include, while at the same time providing some sort of unifying theme for the course.

So…this course will offer a sampling of many of these aspects of human behavior in organizational settings, with an opportunity for you at the end (with your final presentations) to focus on an area of particular interest that you can present and share with the class. But to provide a unifying theme, we will focus on the topic of leadership throughout the course via our text and our blog entries.

Short-term goals

A big goal right now is getting us all on board with our blogs. We simply need to get in the habit of reading the text, making posts, seeing what others have written, and making a few comments. We are all linked together so we can work as a team sharing with each other our thoughts, dreams, goals, etc. Thanks to the many of you who are already off to a great start.

Another, related goal, is to get a better sense of what each of you wants so that we can negotiate our way forward with this course based on your input.

Perkins mentions how Shackleton was able to “create engaging distractions”(26) to keep his crew motivated. I will try to do the same. I will provide you with web links, occasional short web clips in class, some fun activities, guest speakers, etc. which I hope provides inspiration and motivation. 

This is enough for me for now (probably more than enough!), and I look forward to hearing from you.


No comments:

Post a Comment