Welcome!

Welcome to LILTDY blogging.


Each of you needs to go to Blogger and create your own blog for this course. Call your blog anything you like, but be sure to include your name in the title so we know who you are and can respond to your posts. Add the URL to our class member sheet below.


Each week you will have one assigned writing task related to our text, Leading at the Edge. These entries should be between 150 and 300 words.


But please also make additional entries, and/or provide links to anything that you find interesting and related to our class.


I’ll try to make my blog a good model of what is possible. To help you feel like we are all doing this together, I will do the same assignments as you.


I look forward to blogging with you.


Ken

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ken's First Post

As promised, I will make blog entries the same as you. This way we can all feel like we are all participating and working together.

For my first entry, I will focus on the Preface to our text, Leading at the Edge. At the end of the “Preface” is a section called “Expedition Log.” Here our author, Perkins, asks if we have ever been in a situation in which we were “stretched to [our] limits of performance or endurance” (xix).

I do have a very dramatic survival story of an experience in Antarctica (Nankyoku Tairitsu in Japanese) that involved trying to climb a high mountain and getting lost in a storm in extremely severe conditions. I’ll share this later but you can click here if this interests you now.

But I have to admit that my current job, simply being the Assistant Director of the ELP (now (ELA) has been surprisingly challenging. The instructors all come from different nationalities and cultures and everyone seems to have a strong opinion about everything. For the last couple of years we have been undergoing a reform process, and all these different points of view along with a great deal of factionalism have created a highly charged political working environment.

What has helped me get through this situation?

Empathy. Trying my best to listen and understand the various points of view has been very important. Everyone wants to feel like they are being heard.

Trustworthiness. Creating trust involves being honest, protecting the confidentiality of others, and trying always to do what I say I will do.

Optimism. Maintaining my optimism has been critical to both success and my sense of well being. There are occasional very bad days, and weeks, and even terms, but knowing that better times are ahead has kept me focused on going forward.

These three qualities—empathy, trustworthiness, and optimism—have helped me enormously. But these qualities do not necessarily come naturally, and I have had to constantly work at it.



So that is my first post for my blog. Now, each of you needs to make your own blog and make your first post. For your first post, please feel free to 1) respond to this same question in our textbook that I did, or 2) simply spend more time introducing yourself and why you have chosen to take this course.

2 comments:

  1. Good evening Ken :) I'm sorry I don't remember what your question was, so I'm going to write about myself more here. If I can talk about my life, just 20 years though, I cannot miss the journalism club at high school and exchange to France by the Rotary club; they have really strong impression and so great influence on me. I am sure that without both of them, I could not be what I am today. Belonging to the journalism club, I could learn many things, much more than the club activity; not only writing ability, interview skill and management on the design of paper, but also what I have to do in my life and how I should live. Being France provided me many difficulties and many happiness as the consequence of them. I can say that both of them and my life itself could not be what they are now WITHOUT the encounters with people: teachers, friends, brothers, parents...
    My life is the fruit of such good lucks and their help, so I'd like to help other people in difficulties or sadness, as they helped me once. This is my life goal, some how... Now I'm sure that I talked so much, and too much talking does not have good result... well, thank you for reading! Nice to meet you, again!


    151249 Chikako Matsushima

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chikako,

    Thanks so much for commenting on my blog!

    I apologize though for being unclear as to what I want you to do. I have reworded my post at the end so it should be more clear now, but what you need to do is to make your own blog and make your first post. What you said to me would be a great first post on your own blog.

    I hope this helps, both you and anyone else who might be confused.

    Best,

    Ken

    ReplyDelete